Leadership: Deans Office
The School’s administration is under the office of the Dean. The Dean is overseeing the entire Schools activities. According to the University of Dar es Salaam Charter, 2007, the Dean is the head of academic and administration in the School. Specifically, Dean is responsible to;
- Engaging faculty, staff and students in discussions of all vital School issues and assuring a positive, high-quality working environment.
- Coordinate all departments, centres and units in the School.
- Convening strategic intellectual discussions about future academic directions of the School and its centres.
- To ensure the improved welfare of the School, its staff and students.
- Playing a key oversight role in all programs, reviews and processes that are important for continuous improvement of the School’s activities.
The Current Dean 2021/22 - 2023/24
Dr. Dr. S.F. Materu
Sosteness Francis Materu is the Dean of the School and a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Economic Law. He served as Associate Dean from 2019 to 2021 and Head of Public Law Department from 2016 to 2019. He joined the School (then Faculty of Law) in 2009. Before this appointment, Dr Materu worked as an Assistant Tax Consultant at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) from August 2008 to September 2009. Dr Materu has a Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL. B (Hons)-2008) from University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; Master of Laws Degree (LL.M (Cum Laude)-2011) from University of the Western Cape, South Africa; and a Doctor of Laws Degree (Dr. Iuris (Summa Cum Laude-2014) from Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany. In 2016, Dr Materu received a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law School of Tanzania, thereby becoming an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania, Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths. He is a member of the Tanganyika Law Society. Dr Materu’s areas of interests are international criminal law, transitional justice, international humanitarian law and anti-money laundering law.
Dr Materu has held several administrative and advisory positions within the University. He has been Head of the Public Law Department and Coordinator of Master of Laws in Procedural Law and International Legal Practice program (2015-2021). He has also been appointed a member of the Ministerial Advisory Board of the Registration, Insolvency and Trusteeship Agency (RITA) for two terms i.e. 2015-2018 and 2019-2022. In addition to these responsibilities, Dr Materu has been a visiting scholar at the University of Bayreuth (Germany) and an External Examiner of Ruaha Catholic University (RUCU) in Tanzania