The main functions of the Institute:-
- To provide facilities for the study of and training in the principles, procedures and techniques of basic training of seafarers;
- To conduct maritime and other related programmes that are relevant to the industry;
- To engage in research into theoretical, operational and organizational problems and training needs;
- To provide consultancy services to the government, parastatal bodies and such other bodies or persons;
- To establish and foster closer association with other colleges, academies and institutions both nationally and internationally.
- To perform all such other functions as stipulated in DMI Act.