List of Abbreviations
BoT – Board of Trustees of METFUND
GePG – Government Electronic Payment Gateway
GPA – Grade Points Average
METFUND – Maritime Education and Training Fund
NOC – No Objection Certificate
TASAC – Tanzania Shipping Agencies Corporation
TCU – Tanzania Commission for Universities
Definition of terms
- Beneficiary – means a person who has been granted a loan/grant under this Fund document and as stipulated in the regulation 6 of the Merchant Shipping (Maritime Education and Training Fund) Regulations, 2011.
- Board – means the Board of Trustees of the METFUND
- Court – District, the Resident Magistrates Court or the High Court of Tanzania
- Eligible Student – means a Tanzanian student who fulfills conditions stipulated under this Fund document
- Employer – includes natural and legal persons, institutions, licensing bodies, government and government institutions non-governmental organizations, registered professional bodies where the beneficiaries belong, and any other body or organization in whose employment is a loan beneficiary or from where information of loan beneficiaries can be obtained;
- Higher Education – means the education provided at the level of Degrees and, or Advanced Diplomas;
- Liabilities – means liabilities, debts, charges, and obligations of every description, whether present or future, actual or contingent and whether payable or to be observed or performed in the United Republic or elsewhere;
- Loan – means the METFUND Students’ Loan granted under this Fund document;
- Regulations – The Merchant Shipping (Maritime Education and Training Fund) Regulations, 2011.
- Repeating student – means a student who for any reason is compelled to repeat the previous academic year;
- Student – means any person admitted to a Certificate of Competency, Sea time Training, Higher Education institution as a candidate for a degree.
The Maritime Education and Training Fund (METFUND) hereinafter refers to as a Fund, is established under section 170 of the Merchant Shipping Act No. 21 of 2003 (CAP. 165 of the Revised Laws of Tanzania), and announced by Government Notice No. 184 published on 18/05/2012. The government of the United Republic of Tanzania by establishing the Maritime Education and Training Fund focused on financing maritime education and training for Tanzanians to enhance professionalism in the maritime industry.
This booklet provides procedures to guide you through the process of applying for a loan and/or grant from the Fund.
Priority Areas for Support from the Fund
To ensure the effectiveness and impact of the Maritime Education and Training Fund, the Fund has identified priority areas for support. These are;
- Training of Tanzanians in Marine navigation, pilotage, marine engineering and engineering disciplines, shipping agency, maritime law, offshore engineering, offshore oil & gas technology, maritime economics, cargo handling, cargo clearing, and freight forwarding, maritime safety and security and marine environment professions;
- Short courses programs for Tanzanians seafarers aimed at promoting compliance with national and international standards in order to improve shipping and port performance and to enhance maritime safety and security and protection of the marine environment;
- Acquisition of approved seagoing service relevant to the issue of a certificate of competency or other qualifications;
- Acquiring training facilities and learning resources for the Tanzanian Training Institutions;
- Short courses related to capacity building of the office responsible for registration and licensing of ships.
Eligibility criteria for acquiring support from the Fund
To qualify for consideration for the Fund, the applying student must be a Tanzanian registered/admitted by the Maritime Training Institution, and qualify for eligibility criteria hereunder stipulated:
- Applicant must be taking courses stated under Regulation 6 (a) and (b) of the Merchant Shipping (Maritime Education and Training Fund) Regulations, 2011;
- Applicant should not exceed 30 years of age at the time of application for undergraduate courses;
- Applicant should not exceed 35 years of age at the time of application of short courses and master degrees;
- Applicants should not exceed 40 years for professional courses and Ph.D.
- Applicant must have admitted to an accredited high learning Institution/other relevant training institution;
- Applicant must be a continuing student with results/progress report to show that he/she has passed examinations necessary to enable him/her to advance to the following year or stage of study;
- Applicant must not be under any other full sponsorship;
- An applicant who wants to study abroad must produce No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the TCU/TASAC;
- In the selection of students eligible for award of a loan/grant consideration of best relevant entry qualification in respective applied courses shall be considered.
To qualify for consideration for the Fund, the applying student must be a Tanzanian registered/admitted by a Maritime Training Institution, and qualify for eligibility criteria hereunder stipulated. However, this will also be subject to availability of funds;
- Support for female students in offshore professional training;
- Research falling within offshore professional training;
- Best performers with distinctive GPA;
Maritime Education Institutions/Organizations
To qualify for consideration for the Fund support, the applying educational institutions should have the following qualifications:
- Must demonstrate, in writing, the use of Funds to implement projects stated under Regulation 6 (c) and (d) of the Merchant Shipping (Maritime Education and Training Fund) Regulations, 2011;
- Must be registered in Tanzania by relevant authorities and has a Tax Identification Number (TIN) with Tax clearance certificate;
- Must possess an unqualified report provided by Controller and Auditor General;
- Must have Immovable asset that covers 150% of the amount of loan or alternatively, a guarantor of assurance 100% of the amount of loan;
- Must have clear cash flow records;
- Must have contributed to the Fund.
Areas Qualifying for Grant/Loans
The Fund provides support to educational institutions/organization and individuals in the form of grants and loans as shown in the following table
|SN||Area of Support||Grant||Loan|
|A||Teaching and learning materials and equipment|
|1||Books and other teaching and learning materials||v||x|
|2||Laboratory / Workshop equipment||v||x|
|3||Classroom and lecture room fixtures and fittings||v||x|
|B||Training of Students/Academic Staff in specialized skills|
|1||Marine navigation/Nautical science||x||v|
|6||Clearing and Forwarding||x||v|
|7||Maritime Safety and Security||x||v|
|9||Offshore oil and gas technology||x||v|
|10||Sea Service Training||x||v|
|12||Naval Architecture and Ship Building||x||v|
|C||Curriculum Development and Review|
|1||Review of existing curricula||v||v|
|2||Development of new curricula||v||v|
|D||Application and exploitation of Information and Communication Technology|
|1||Offshore simulators/Maritime simulators||v||v|
|E||Support to promote gender equity in the Maritime Sector|
|1||Support to female students in offshore professional training||v||x|
|2||Research falling within offshore professional training||v||x|
|V = Applicable , X = Not applicable|
- All applicants for financial support have to fill the Fund’s Loan/Grant Application Form (Annex I) and attach a Project Proposal (for institutions) basing on the format provided in the Template Forms. An institution applying for more than one project should fill in separate forms for each project;
- The filled Students’ Loan Application Form shall be forwarded directly to the Fund Manager through Maritime Education and Training Fund, P.O. Box 11377, Dar es Salaam and by Fund’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ;
- Applications from Maritime Education Institution shall be forwarded directly to the Fund Manager, Maritime Education, and Training Fund, P.O. Box 11377, Dar es Salaam and by Fund’s e-mail: email@example.com;
Application Timeframe and Fees
In each financial year, applications will be received according to the admissions of respective institutions. The application must be submitted together with a proof of payment of a non-refundable application fee charged for each application as shown in Table below;
|Student Grant/Loan Application Form||30,000/=|
|Institution Grant/Loan Application Form||100,000/=|
Application fees should be made to the Fund through the bank account, in the name of the Fund, and submit the original bank deposit slip together with the application form. (Annex II) Application forms are available at Fund’s office and/or Fund’s website: www.metfund.ac.tz
Evaluation and Notification
- The Fund evaluates each application using a set of predetermined criteria and forwards its recommendations to the Board for approval;
- Notification of the award of grants and/or loans is made through official letters to beneficiaries or Fund website and on the notice boards of the maritime institute.
Disbursement of Funds
Disbursement shall include the date, payee name, amount debited/credited, mode of payment, the purpose of payment (grant/loan)
- The Fund will disburse loans/grants related to tuition fees to approved students through their respective training institutions.
- The indirect costs will be payable direct to respective students through their bank accounts.
- Disbursement of Funds for Fund approved applications shall be effected directly to the suppliers, contractors or consultants upon compliance to the Public Procurement Act No. 7 of 2011 as amended by Public Procurement (Amendment) No. 5 of 2016 and its regulations 2013;
- Proven delivery of goods or services and presentation of certified relevant documents. The documents include: –
b) Delivery Note;
c) Goods Receiving Note;
d) Contract Agreement between beneficiary and supplier/contractor;
e) Certificate of completion of works;
- Part payments may be effected in accordance with the contract terms entered between the institution and the suppliers and upon presentation of certified relevant documents;
- Advance payment requests may be honored provided that the institution submits a bank guarantee for the supplier.
Monitoring and Evaluation of Fund
- The Fund has an established mechanism for monitoring and evaluating the utilization of resources on Fund Assisted Educational and Training Projects;
- Special focus is placed on quality assurance, physical verification, effective use of the support as well as record and bookkeeping.
Loan Repayment Procedures
The recipient of the Fund shall agree with the Fund to repay the money spent on training or training facilities as the case may be. Prior to the commencement of repayment, beneficiaries will fill a Loan Repayment Enquiry Form (Annex III). The following are repayment procedures for individual beneficiaries;
- Loans are repaid following the expiry of one-year grace period upon successful completion of studies or upon earlier termination of studies for whatsoever reason;
- A Loan Beneficiary will be issued with a loan repayment schedule upon signing of the contract with the Fund and will have to give his/her status of employment upon completion of the study;
- Loans interest are repaid at a rate of 6% for students and 8% for institutions per annum on reducing balance method and penalty at the rate of 5% compound annually of the unpaid amount of the loan.
Loan Repayment for Institutions/Organizations
An institution/organization benefiting from METFUND shall begin to repay its loan following the expiry of a one-year grace period basing on the agreement entered with the Fund. However, an institution/organization is at liberty to start repaying the loan within the grace period.
Loan Repayment Modes
All payments are payable to the Fund through the GePG account by obtaining a control number from the Fund.
Completion of Loan Repayment
Upon completion of loan repayment, kindly seek a clearance certificate from the Fund. Please note that only the Fund can confirm your loan repayment status. METFUND shall confirm loan repayment completion by issuing a certificate of clearance.
Failure to repay the loan as per the contract and as required by the Regulations shall attract a penalty under the provisions of any written laws or with the order of a court or a competent authority. The following procedures shall be taken against loan defaulters;
- Any beneficiary who, without good cause fails to repay the loan on a specified term shall be liable to civil proceedings;
- When any prescribed amount of loan is, in accordance with the certificate of the Fund Manager, due to the loan beneficiary such amount shall be a debt accrued and the Fund may cause a demand notice to the loan beneficiary through his known address or in widely circulating local newspapers to settle the prescribed amount within twenty-eight days from the date of such notice;
- Where such demand notice is properly served and the loan beneficiary fails to pay within the time specified in the notice, the Fund shall apply to the competent Court for a summary warrant, which shall be designed by the Fund to recover the debt;
- Where the application has been made under item (3), the Court may grant the warrant on production by the Fund of lists of the names and the addresses of loan beneficiaries and the amount due by everyone with a certificate of the Fund Manager certifying that such loan beneficiaries have been duly required to repay but have faulted;
- Every warrant issued under item (4) shall be executed in all respect as though it were both warrants of attachment and a warrant of sale issued by the Court;
- Notwithstanding item (5), the Court shall have and exercise power to issue a warrant of attachment and warrant of sale under this Fund document;
- Any claim for repayment of a loan under this document may be instituted in the Court under order XXXV of the Civil Procedure Act;
- For the purposes of recovery of loans, proceedings may be brought to Court within the period of two years from the date when the debt became due;
- The Court may, for sufficient reasons, extend by half the period of time prescribed under item (8).
For inquiries on loan repayment, kindly e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org